Financial Literacy Counselor
(Bilingual in Spanish)
POSITION: Financial Literacy Counselor (FLC)
REPORTS TO: Director of Financial Services (DFS)
LEVEL/STATUS: Full-Time, Non-exempt
SALARY: $60,000-$65,000, depending on experience, non-exempt plus benefits
PURPOSE: Birch Community Services, Inc. (BCS) mission is to build a financially stable community by providing education, food, and nurturing accountability. The successful FL Counselor candidate will teach the re$tart financial literacy course, meet individually with participants for the initial goal setting and family vision meeting, provide follow-up coaching and meet at least every six months with participants. The FLC will also manage the progress of families assigned and have initial and annual meetings to determine the necessary next steps and progress towards goals. The FLC will work with systems for tracking and reporting on the outputs related to impact of families in coordination with the Financial Literacy team. This includes building out the Spanish speaking capabilities of BCS.
FAMILY FINANCIAL MEETINGS (60%)
Objective: In cooperation with the financial literacy team, the FLC will meet with families and focus on story-based intelligence gathering, situational analysis and equipping them with practical next steps on financial and career-related growth. This “story-based intel” gleaned from factors inside and outside of BCS will be used to help families learn to better manage their resources and to assist BCS in improving our programs and developing new ones. This includes building out the Spanish speaking capabilities of BCS.
- Meet with assigned families within 2-3 months of starting with BCS and twice a year (every 6 months)
- Quarterly email check in (alternated between 6-month meetings) with each family
- Review participant financial information to ensure accuracy and goals
- Discuss and develop practical next steps for each family
- Maintain confidentiality and respect for each family
- Send follow up communication for tracking and accountability
- Report to the DFS weekly on the findings and outcomes associated with family meetings
- Meet w/ families regarding late notices
TRAINING PROGRAMS (30%)
Objective: In cooperation with the financial team, will help develop and implement best-practices curriculum for courses designed to fulfill BCS’s stated mission. The FLC is responsible for teaching a portion of re$tart and other related financial classes. This includes building out the Spanish speaking capabilities of BCS.
- Help develop and teach curricula (including Spanish capabilities)
- Teach BCS’s finance class re$tart (including Spanish capabilities)
- Assist in monitoring BCS training-related measures of effectiveness including:
- Increased creation and utilization of a financial plan
- Increased emergency savings and decreased debt
- Increased stability in the family unit
- Building out the Spanish-speaking capabilities of BCS
- Assist the DFS and FL team with program outcomes
- Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness and transition rates
- Assist with office tasks and other duties as requested
- Paid vacation – Starting at 3 weeks, adding one more day per year on your anniversary (starting after 5 years and with a max of 5 weeks)
- Paid sick time – 5 days per year
- Participation in a Simple IRA Retirement Plan after one year of employment, with 3% matching.
- Participation in an FSA plan after 60 days of employment
- Participation as a shopping employee; each employee pays the monthly service fee but can access extra groceries as needed.
- Yearly paid Costco membership
- Kaiser health insurance premium paid in full for employee; up to $1200 monthly family premium paid by BCS
- Yearly bonus
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Birch Community Services
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent group facilitation skills, including the ability to teach others
- Highly organized, able to juggle multiple priorities, take initiative and work in a team approach
- Flexible, energetic, creative and detail oriented
- Ability to multitask in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with composure
- Diplomatic and refined conflict management skills
- Skill with Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Personal finance training, and stable financial standing per DFS
- Experience in financial counseling
- 2+ years of experience coordinating or training adults
- Experience with a CRM program (like Salesforce)
- Experience with developing statistical reports
- Knowledge of case management and/or best practices
June 6th, 2023
To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
POSITION: Warehouse Driver
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
SALARY: $18-22/hr, DOE
Applications will only be considered with resume AND cover letter sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Above all else, embrace and internalize BCS’ guiding principles to direct all our efforts to build healthy, stable families.
In general, responsible for procurement, organization, and receiving of donated product by safely operating BCS fleet.
Monday- Friday: 7:00 am to approximately 3:30 pm.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Self-motivated to address driving, warehouse needs in appropriate time frames.
- Orderly, safe organization of product on truck, and in warehouse.
- Maintain appropriate record keeping, in alliance with other BCS employees.
- Safely operate electric pallet jack and forklift.
- Vigilantly following safety procedures in alliance with other BCS employees.
- Interaction and development of relationships with donors, in coordination with Operations Manager.
- Maintain fleet maintenance records in coordination with the Warehouse Manager.
- Strongly preferred: safely operate a 33,000 GVW (class B endorsement required).
- Safely operate a 26,000 GVW box truck (non-CDL), and a 22’ long Transit van.
- Share the responsibility of maintaining a safe operational fleet of trucks with the
- Report any problems at the earliest opportunity and coordinate a resolution with the
- Perform a pre-trip inspection each morning.
- Help in maintaining an appropriate level of fuel in each of the trucks, filling each as needed.
- Maintain the longevity of all trucks by ensuring maintenance schedule is followed. Coordinate with Warehouse Manager as to where and when maintenance will be completed.
- Sweep out truck bed as well as clean the cab of the truck at the end of scheduled shift.
- Ensure truck is washed monthly.
- Three weeks paid vacation per year, based on your weekly hours.
- Five days paid sick time per calendar year
- Yearly Costco Membership
- Participation as a Shopping Employee
- $30.00 monthly phone reimbursement.
- Simple IRA with 3% employer match after one year of employment.
- FSA/Dependent care program after 60 days of employment.
- Kaiser Health insurance after 60 days of employment.
- Paid holidays (if the holidays fall on normally worked days)
o New Year’s Day
o Memorial Day
o Labor Day
o Thanksgiving Day
o Christmas Day
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be 21 or older. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school degree or equivalent experience. Class B endorsement is preferred. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Proven working experience driving trucks in a warehouse setting. Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 30 pounds.